A Travellerspoint blog

Cambodia

Smooth Feet in Siem Reap

We arrived in Siem reap, Cambodia. We had a wander around the town and markets. It's really lovely here, much quieter. We are traveling around in a tuk tuk. It is a motorbike with a carriage hooked on the back. I like it because you get a nice breeze when you are traveling. We have bought a few things at the markets. There is lots to choose from and it is really cheap. I got a dress and a bag made from recycled magazine paper. it's hot here again and it usually rains really hard in the afternoon. It is the start of the monsoon season.

16UploadedFile5.jpg
7UploadedFile12.jpg
19UploadedFile1.jpg
17/06 Today we went out to the Banteay Srei temple it is a Hindu temple built in 967 AD (that's 1000 years old!) We also visited the Ankor Butterfly Centre where they breed all sorts of different butterflies. There we saw eggs, caterpillars, chrysalis' and the newly hatched butterflies. There was one very similar to a Monarch which they called a Tiger butterfly. They also had huge stick insects, and a cage with big black hairy spiders and another one full of Scorpions. I didn't like them so I left that area and went back to the butterflies.

All the types of butterflies there was to see
15UploadedFile3.jpg
The chrysalis' glued to bamboo waiting to hatch
270_14UploadedFile5.jpg
6UploadedFile8.jpg
A Tiger Butterfly
17UploadedFile4.jpg
Big spiders
90_10UploadedFile6.jpg
Big stick insects
17UploadedFile2.jpg
On the way home we went to The Pre Rup temple which is pyramid shaped temple with big steps that we climbed to the top of.
90_4UploadedFile9.jpg
18/06 Today we had an early breakfast because we were going to visit four more temples. The first one was Angkor Wat. It is the biggest temple in the world. When we went inside it was really big. I saw two libraries.

12UploadedFile6.jpg
6UploadedFile12.jpg
Then we went to the second temple called Bayan which has heaps of faces and stairs and people. We took heaps of pictures.
90_2UploadedFile21.jpg
We travelled by Tuk Tuk and on the way to one of the temples my new hat blew off. The driver stopped and Dad ran back. A bunch of girls on bikes gave it to him. The next temple - Baphuon children under 12 were not allowed in as it was too dangerous so we waited outside and played on the big blocks that are all numbered ready to restore the temples.

The last visit to the Terrace of the Elephants was like a maze to get to the exit. On the way back home we saw monkeys. There were about 40 of them in a group travelling along the road. We bought some bananas off a boy to feed to them. The babies were riding on their Mum's backs or hanging from their tummies as they walked along.

2UploadedFile29.jpg
3UploadedFile28.jpg
20/06 Today we went to 2 more temples. The first one we went to called Ta Prohm was a wierd one because it had trees growing up through it. We did some climbing.

UploadedFile42.jpg
The next one Beng Mealea was a long car trip away but we didn't mind because when we got there we had to pick a path to take to explore the temple. The Path we picked was a climbing path. I managed to do it.

5UploadedFile9.jpg
9UploadedFile7.jpg
7UploadedFile8.jpg

21/06 Today we went to the silk farm and learned about how they make silk fabric. The silk worm only eat Mulberry tree leaves. The worms are very small and they spin a silk coccoon around themselves using their spit. This is where the silk fibre comes from. In total a silk worm has 24 days living then 80% of them get cooked to kill them and use the silk, while the other 20% get to hatch into moths so they can lay more eggs. We watched them dye and weave the beautiful silk fabric. I wanted a scarf but they were $100.
The silk chrysalis
UploadedFile50.jpg
Winding the silk thread on to spools
UploadedFile51.jpg
The thread being dyed
10UploadedFile10.jpg
And then woven into a scarf
90_12UploadedFile11.jpg
When we got back to town we had a fish massage. Dad lasted about ten seconds. Toby and I were laughing so hard we began to cry. It feels so wierd to have all these tiny fish nibbling at your feet. We had to keep asking Mum to lift her feet out of the water as the fish were more interested in nibbling her old skin than our young skin.

270_16UploadedFile2.jpg
Siem Reap has been great.

UploadedFile52.jpg
PS. Toby reckons when he eats his toast it looks like a dinosaur footprint
25UploadedFile0.jpg

Posted by Watson5 07:11

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Comments

Well you are having an interesting time. I especially liked the sound of the butterfly house minus the spiders and stick insects. Love Nana and Poppa.

by Sticky1

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint